Commissioning Editor - People & Careers
Would you describe yourself as a “people person”? Do you enjoy talking to people from diverse backgrounds working in different roles, to understand their motivations, future plans and what makes them tick?
As Commissioning Editor – People & Careers, you will have the opportunity to profile interesting individuals, interview leaders in pharmacy and pharmaceutical science, while also planning, commissioning and editing features on new and exciting career development opportunities and
education advice. This role also presents an excellent opportunity to contribute to the relaunch of one of The Pharmaceutical Journal’s most popular sections online, to strengthen its position as the ultimate source
people and careers information in pharmacy and the pharmaceutical sciences.
- Commission, edit and contribute content (including career features, profiles and Q&As) to expand the range of People & Careers content across the online platform, while ensuring it is
accurate, relevant and engaging for pharmacy professionals and reflective of the opportunities available across different sectors and levels. This includes content appearing in The
Pharmaceutical Journal and Tomorrow’s Pharmacist;
- To ensure that the right balance is maintained across the scope of content;
- Contribute to, and influence the relaunch of one of The Pharmaceutical Journal’s most popular sections online;
- Build and maintain communication with the target audience of People & Career articles (including students and pre-registration pharmacists), and develop a range of expert contacts across sectors;
- Collaborate with the Editorial Production team and Managing Editor to ensure the smooth transition of People & Careers content from the platform to print and digital issues, and
collaborate with the Art Editor to ensure the highest quality in the visual presentation of the content, including image selection and creation of infographics;
- Engage with the target audience through social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and relevant pharmacy forums);
- Attend events and conferences where required and support the wider team in producing timely news and other relevant content, including social media output;
- Edit and publish blogs for The Pharmaceutical Journal and Tomorrow’s Pharmacist as required.
This list is a summary of the main accountabilities of the role and is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties from time to time.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS JOB
- Personal responsibility
- Problem solving
- Achieving results/delivering performance
- Managing budgets
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THIS JOB
- Excellent commissioning and editing skills (E)
- Previous experience of Feature writing and development (E)
- Two years' editing and writing experience – STM or journalism (D)
- Meticulous attention to detail and a demonstrable ability to work flexibly in a multidisciplinary team (E)
- Experience working in a combined print/online environment and managing a library of content (E)
- Proven ability to work to self-organise and work to tight deadlines (E)
- Life science or healthcare-related degree or other experience in STM (D)
- An understanding of the needs of the target audiences (pharmacy professionals) in relation to professional matters, careers and job information (D) .