Who we are
The Royal Pharmaceutical Society is the professional membership body for pharmacists and pharmacy in Great Britain. We advance the profession of pharmacy for public and patient benefit to secure the future of the profession and our members.
What we do
We lead and promote the advancement of science, practice and education in pharmacy to shape and influence the future delivery of pharmacy driven services.
We support and empower our members to improve health outcomes for society through professional guidance, networks and resources
How we work
- Focused on delivering for members, patients and the public
- Committed to listening and learning
- Collaborative in our approach to success
- Dedicated to excellence in everything we do
All PhP products and services depend on high quality content. The role of the Lead Writer is to oversee the day-to-day management of the content, taking responsibility for a specific subset of the content and/or brand.
The Lead Writer will also contribute to the creation of appropriate content for the various PhP products in order to maintain their positions as authoritative sources of information about drugs and medicines.
In addition, appropriately trained Lead Writers may authorize content for release.
- Manage and motivate an in-house team of expert staff who create the content; under the direction of the Content Manager, schedule and prioritize the day-to-day work in line with publications objectives, standards and procedures, ensuring an appropriate balance between reactive and planned revision work;
- Work across teams with other Lead Writers to ensure publication styles are harmonised wherever possible, whilst retaining the necessary uniqueness of each of the publication brands;
- Act as the champion for a specific brand or section of content ensuring that the value proposition of the content or brand is retained, and ensuring that the business as a whole recognises the distinctiveness of the brand of content set;
- Contribute to content creation, including but not exclusively, searching for and selecting relevant information, organising and writing or checking content suitable for use in PhP publications, taking clinical and professional responsibility for the accuracy, safety, and appropriateness of the content;
- Assist in dealing with experts in drug therapy, advisory committees, and other external contacts, by preparation of papers for board meetings and electronic forums, presentations in person, or other appropriate methods of communication;
- Under the guidance of the Content Manager (Development and Support), contribute to the development of processes and procedures that drive high-quality content creation;
- May be required to represent the publications on relevant issues to external organisations;
- If appropriately trained, may sign off content for release.
This list is a summary of the main accountabilities of this role and is not exhaustive. The role holder may be required to undertake other reasonable duties from time to time.
- An effective content creation team, compliant with publication policies and procedures;
- Timely delivery of high-quality, well-structured editorial content;
- Effective working relationships both with colleagues and external partners;
- Demonstration of awareness and understanding of competitive environment.
- Demonstration of awareness and understanding of drug regulation and pharmacovigilance processes;
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS JOB
- Personal responsibility
- Managing and developing people
- Achieving results/delivering performance
- Problem solving
Level required – ops, mgr, senior mgr
Delivering a member and customer focussed service
Planning and organisation
Openness to change
Negotiating and influencing
Knowledge & Skills for this job
- Degree in pharmacy, medicine, or related clinical field and a good knowledge of the clinical uses of drugs and medicines;
- The ability to critically analyze source material and judge the clinical relevance of information on medicines;
- Proven editorial experience, demonstrating excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to present complex information with clarity and concisely;
- Ability to manage and motivate teams;
- Awareness of the UK and international markets for pharmaceutical, scientific and healthcare information;