Lead Clinical Pharmacist – HCA Healthcare UK
Lead Clinical Pharmacist – HCA Healthcare UK
Facility: The Princess Grace Hospital
Closing Date: 28/04/2019
About the facility
Situated in the heart of London's world-renowned medical district, The Princess Grace Hospital is recognised as one of the best-equipped multidisciplinary private hospitals in the capital. Our dedicated and highly trained team is committed to delivering an exemplary standard of clinical care across all specialties.
The Princess Grace Hospital has 127 registered beds, including 90 inpatient, 21 day case, 8 endoscopy, an urgent care unit and a Level 3 intensive care unit containing 9 beds, with 24-hour consultant cover and a high dependency unit. The hospital also has a several specialised centres, including; The London Breast Institute, recognised as one of the best private breast screening and diagnostic treatment centres in the UK; the London Digestive Centre, a highly specialised outpatient facility offering diagnoses and treatments for all conditions of the stomach, small and large intestines, liver, pancreas, and bile ducts; and The Institute of Sport Exercise and Health, a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to sport and exercise medicine.
A key member of the Pharmacy team as such develop, monitor and lead all aspects of clinical pharmacy services to ensure high quality, innovative and up-to-date pharmacy services which consistently meet the needs of all clients within the hospital, responsible for formulating strategy and providing leadership in the advancement of clinical and ward pharmacy services.
This is a full-time role working 37.5hrs per week.
Equivalent to a NHS Band 8b role plus on-call and weekend services allowance.
The attractive and competitive salary for this role is dependent upon skills and experience.
Reward and recognition:
We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 247.5hrs holiday each year; with the option to buy and sell. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee all ward based clinical services to ensure that they are efficient, effective and safe
- Evaluate and re-shape existing clinical pharmacy services to give emphasis to patient focused care
- Lead on best practice in current and future thinking in the development of the clinical practice standards
- Collaborate with senior clinical mangers to formulate ad implement effective strategies for clinical services
- Focus on the provision of pharmaceutical care to the agreed level and standard in line with recent NHS, DoH, Healthcare Commission, NPSA, CHKS, CQC, and NICE guidelines and other national initiatives
- Manage the training and development of all clinical pharmacy staff
- Responsible directly and indirectly for the delivery of clinical supervision and competency assessment of all pharmacists providing clinical pharmacy services
- Manage the supervision and training of any diploma pharmacist pre-registration/ pharmacy students who are sent to the hospital during their training
- Manage the supervision and training of any diploma pharmacists and medicines management technicians
- Attend local Medicines Management Committee meetings or other meetings as and when required to do so by the Pharmacy Manager
- Develop and oversee clinical pharmacy services to clinical areas and work closely with the pharmacists across other sites within the HCA group
- Act as expert knowledge base in clinical pharmacy practice development
- Provide clinical pharmacy input to the Medicines Safety Group, Clinical Governance Committees directly or indirectly via the Pharmacy Manager
- Contribute to AHP and Nursing Training
- Lead on standard setting and audit e.g. pharmacy interventions, antibiotic audits etc
- Lead the development of Continued Professional Development (CPD) for pharmacists and to assist in developing CPD for pharmacy technicians
- Lead – in conjunction with the HCA Clinical Lead Pharmacist Group - the implementation of NPSA guidelines and alerts and other recommendations as set out by relevant regulatory or auditing bodies
- Ensures that relevant pharmaceutical incidents/near misses are reported in line with Trust policy, investigated and remedial actions to reduce risk of recurrence are communicated and implemented
- Supports, contributes to and, where applicable, leads on clinical and service audit activity related to medicines both within and outside of the department
- Responsible for writing or ensures relevant clinical and non-clinical policies and procedures are in place, regularly updated and implemented
- Assist in the management and development of Medicines Management and other Clinical Governance initiatives as requested by the Pharmacy Manager
- Assist in the teaching and tutoring of pharmacists on post-graduate clinical pharmacy education and pharmacy medicines management technicians
- Participate in relevant corporate teaching initiatives
- Promote the cost-effective utilisation of drugs
- Develop collaborative prescribing and treatment guidelines and be an active member of the corporate Lead Clinical Pharmacists Committee
- To deputise for the Pharmacy Manager in their absence and assumes additional corporate and strategic responsibilities for the pharmacy service according to need.
Skills and Experience
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council, with a BPharm, Mpharm or BSC in Pharmacy
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society is desirable
- Additional postgraduate clinical qualification e.g. Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy or MSc in Clinical Pharmacy or other relevant post-graduation qualification
- Minimum 4 years of relevant hospital experience
- Experience in a clinical specialist area – e.g. experience in Intensive Care/acute Medicine is highly desirable
About the Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.