Subeditor - 6 Month FTC
We're recruiting for a new Subeditor to join us on a 6 month Fixed-Term basis.
Who we are
We are the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, the professional membership body for pharmacists and pharmacy in England, Scotland and Wales.
What we do
We are champions of the profession, and internationally renowned publishers of medicines information.
We promote pharmacy in the media and government, lead the way in medicines research and information, and support pharmacists in education and development.
Together, we are pharmacy.
We put pharmacy at the forefront of healthcare.
To be the world leader in the safe and effective use of medicines.
Be inspiring. Be empathetic. Be relevant.
You will ensure our content is precise and presented in the best possible way to our readers in both print and online. You will write punchy headlines and interesting captions. You will insist on proper grammar, correct spelling and catch any typos. You will sharpen language and cut clichés. You will be proficient in working on pages on InDesign and have exemplary proofreading skills.
Working with the other members of the production team, you will strive to improve how our content is discovered and experienced.
- Subedit news and expert commentary to ensure it reads well and adheres to house style;
- Subedit scientific and clinical copy to ensure content is accurate;
- Fact check sources and identify statements at risk of libel;
- Write headlines and standfirsts that get to the crux of a story and lure the reader in;
- Conduct picture research, edit images in Adobe Photoshop and write picture captions;
- Liaise with reporters, expert authors and editors;
- Employ keywords for SEO purposes;
- Tag content for semantic enrichment;
- Fit digital-first content to print templates using Adobe InDesign;
- Proofread print and online pages;
- Ensure smooth flow of article through production;
- Maintain the best possible presentation of content in print and online;
- Promote content on social media channels;
- Some video/audio editing as we increase our output.
- Improved quality of content in a digital-first workflow;
- Publications produced, published and distributed according to schedule;
- Increased traffic to the website by usage of keywords and content promotion;
- Constructive and effective relationships with all stakeholders;\
- Successful implementation of the production workflows under the supervision of the Chief Subeditor.
Knowledge & Skills for this job
- Journal publishing processes;
- Copyediting, proofreading;
- STM publishing;
- Science or medicine qualification (not essential);
- Journalism qualification (preferable);
- Writing and editing skills;
- An understanding of the healthcare sector;
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop;
- Understanding of XML workflow;
- Experience with managing social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.
How to apply
Please send us your CV and supporting statement (cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org.