Queen’s University Belfast
School of Pharmacy
Queen’s University Belfast is one of the prestigious Russell Group of UK research-intensive universities in the UK and Ireland, combining excellence in research and education with a student centred ethos, for our 24,000 students and 4,200 staff, funded through an annual turnover of some £300m. As a driver of innovation and talent, based on excellence and global strategic partnerships, we offer generous employment terms and underpinned by excellent lifestyle benefits including opportunities for family friendly working and support for wellbeing.
Our five core values - Integrity, Connected, Ambition, Respect, Excellence - are shared by our staff and students, representing the expectations we have for ourselves and each other, guiding our day-to-day decisions and the way we behave as individuals in an international organisation.
The School of Pharmacy at Queen’s has been ranked 4th in the UK for Pharmacy and Pharmacology according to the Guardian University Guide 2019.
We are recruiting for a Research Fellow who will join the Biofunctional Nanomaterials research group led by Dr Garry Laverty. The successful Research Fellow will support the development of an enzyme-responsive peptide-mimetic hydrogel for the sustained parenteral delivery of antiretroviral and contraceptive drugs. This is an EPSRC funded project.
The successful Research Fellow must have:
• Have or be about to obtain a PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or closely related area
• At least 3 years recent relevant practical research experience of peptoid and peptide-mimetic synthesis, advanced methods of drug conjugation, purification and identification.
• Experience in formulating peptoid and peptide-mimetic hydrogel systems.
• Experience of microscopic (TEM, SEM) and spectroscopic (FTIR, CD, UV/Vis, NMR, mass spectroscopy) relevant to peptoid and peptide-mimetic material characterisation.
• Experience in tissue/cell culture techniques.
• Experience in drug purification and quantification by HPLC
This post is available until 30 September 2022.
Further information about the School and Group Leader can be found at –
Informal enquiries may be directed to Mrs Tara Brown via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary scale: £33,797 to £36,914 per annum
Closing date: Wednesday 16 October 2019
Anticipated interview date: Wednesday 30 October 2019
For full job details and criteria please see the Candidate Information link on our website by clicking ‘apply’. You must clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria when you submit your application. For further information please contact Resourcing Team, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email email@example.com
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. We welcome applications from all sections of society and particularly from people with a disability.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but, in particular circumstances, may be renewed or made permanent, subject to availability of funding.